Our History

The history of Florence church of Christ dates back to the year 1904 when a group of people living in the Florence community, some ten miles West of Murfreesboro, invited the minister of Murfreesboro’s East Main Street Church of Christ to conduct a gospel meeting on property owned by a Will Sykes. This property was located at the intersection of present day Burleson Road and Old Nashville Highway.

 

As a result of this effort, coupled with another gospel meeting in 1905, plans were made to build a meeting house on Burleson Road, near the present day Justice Road. Property for this building was donated by Mrs. Betty Mullins, a widow of the community. This building lasted until March 1953, when the building was destroyed by a strong wind storm. Subsequently, a new meeting house was erected approximately one mile east of the old building on old Nashville Highway, and services were held in the new building before the close of 1953.

 

Leaders of the Florence church in the beginning included Louis Bell, Will Haithcock, John Mullins, and John Thurston. Some of the families constituting, the original church included John Ryan, Will Ryan, the C.H. Mullins, the Joe Mullins, the John T. Mullins, the Milton Tolbert, the Ben Hudson, the Joe Dill, the Clarence Garrett, and the John S. Miller families.

 

Many pioneer preachers well known within the churches of Christ circle preached for the early Florence church, including H. Leo Boles, who preached the first sermon in the original building, John T. Smithson, T.B. Larimore, J.W. Shepherd, F.B. Srygley, and C.M. Pullias.

 

In the beginning, the Florence church had no elders or deacons. The first elders of the church that met east of the original church building were Hershel Mullins and Roy L. Waldron. Deacons appointed included David Pope and Charles R. Mullins. Preachers who preached for this new church included Thomas Houston Carter, Jim Barker, Allen Harris and Jim Duty.

 

A new meeting house was later (c., 1980) built to accommodate a growing church. A large multi-purpose building was added behind the building at a later date.

 

To the original elders were added Charles Mullins and Jim Elrod. Other deacons were also appointed, including Rick Powell, Ian Shepherd, Richard Lyles, Wayne Reed, and David Parsley. Jim Barker, Kenny Bradford, Don Burns, and Johnny Trail have served as recent ministers of the church. F.M. West serves as the present pulpit minister.

Worship Times
SUNDAY
bullet Classes 9:00 am
bullet Worship 10:00 am
bullet Worship 6:00 pm

WEDNESDAY
bullet Classes 7:00 pm

Contact Us

6732 Old Nashville Hwy
Murfreesboro TN 37129
(615) 890.5431 (Office)

office@florencecoc.com

Map & Directions


Florence Bulletins

Photo Gallery

Helpful Links